Definitions and pontifications in the blogosphere
Gabe Moretti chimed into the discussion on whether bloggers are journalists this week and made some valid statements, although I don't entirely agree with him. Essentially he says that the only people who should get press credentials at a trade show should be people from the traditional press and that all others should be given a secondary level of access that is no more than exhibitor level. I don't necessarily disagree with that, because the only reason I'm going to DAC to do interviews for EDA Cafe, SoC Central and New Tech Press is because I don't have to pay to get in. I would have been happy with an exhibitor badge, but I will make use of the press pass to dig stuff up and get a quiet place to record interviews. However, I'm not real happy with the idea of keeping a hard and fast definition for who gets a press pass. I'm not sure Gabe realizes it, but by his definition, he should not get a press pass. Gabe doesn't work for th...
"In talking about science, whether to the public or to students, we scientists often assume that they share with us a common idea of science. In my experience that is often not the case. To oversimplify, scientists think of science both as a process for discovering properties of nature and as the resulting body of knowledge, whereas most people seem to think of science, or perhaps scientists, as an authority that provides some information -- just one more story among the many that they use to help make sense of their world." -- Helen Quinn, theoretical particle physicist, SLAC
ReplyDelete(In other words, most humans are post-modernist. They can't grasp logical deduction or induction from assembly of facts, and only understand the mythological adoption of stories and narratives from voices of authority. Who could have guessed the attendee at a tea party could be a po-mo in disguise?)